Yoon (ユン) is one of the main characters in Akatsuki no Yona and is a member of The Dark Dragon and the Happy Hungry Bunch. He is the self-proclaimed “beautiful boy genius” caretaker of High Priest Ik-Soo, and the one who helps Yona and Hak recover after they fall from a cliff. He is the first person to join Yona’s journey as per Ik-Soo’s recommendation and continues his role of being the caretaker among the team.
Yoon is a boy with a feminine face and a short stature that makes him easily mistaken for a teen girl. He has a very fair skin, a pair of bright blue eyes and short apricot-colored hair with long bangs parted in half that hangs down to his cheeks. He adorns his hair by putting two small white feathers on its left side. He is also very handsome and very cute, which is pointed out most frequently by Yoon himself.
He covers half of his upper body with a short, light blue cloak finished in fringes and fastens it around his neck. Underneath it, he wears a pale green tunic tied with a yellow sash. The sleeves of his tunic extend past his hands and he wraps long brown wristbands atop them. On the bottom, he wears plain gray pants and a pair of light brown fringed boots.
He carries a bag full of important things such as medicine and cooking ingredients.
Yoon is a kind, thoughtful, smart, pacifist and skillful boy who takes great pride in his brains and looks as he confidently proclaims himself a “genius pretty boy”. From time to time, he throws insults at everyone, seeing how the group can be rowdy despite the fact that they need to keep a low profile. However, behind his sharp tongue, he genuinely cares for everyone’s well-being, and is easily moved to tears.
At a young age, Yoon learned to be independent and resourceful in order to survive. Whenever he’s in a tough situation, he prioritizes his safety first even by means of abandoning someone in need. However, after meeting Ik-soo, his selfish nature disappeared and became the person he is right now: someone constantly on the look out for others. He also tries to be like Ik-Soo by helping people out, and deems himself as a 'self-satisfying hypocrite' by doing it. Yoon has stated that he has the ability to remember anything he reads, and this skill helps him remember all texts and experiences he goes through: this fuels Yoon's want to continue seeking new knowledge. He carries a travel log to keep records of important things throughout their journey. As the story progresses, Yoon becomes more determined to learn more about medicine for the sake of Kouka's people who suffered and died after realizing how incapable he still is in that area. He has a strong disliking of violence, hence why he is hesitant to harm or kill other humans. However, he claims that he would be willing to do so if it were to protect someone he cares about. He has a great disdain for royalty and higher-ups, and views them as sly and filthy people. Over time, as he witnesses Yona’s change, his views are slightly altered, as he realizes that not all nobles are ignorant and selfish.
Most of the time he is considered a mom to the group because of the way he always makes them food and also sews their clothes. This is seen very often in the manga, and especially in the moments when he yells at the rowdy members of the group - most of all Zeno.
BackgroundEditYoon was a poor orphan living in the barren village of Touka in the land of the Fire Tribe. For years, he had been pillaging for food and supplies by stealing. When he was eight, he met Ik-Soo, who was traveling to help less fortunate people after being banished from the capital. After hearing the rumors that surrounded Ik-Soo, and hearing that he had many things to give other villagers, Yoon threw a stone at him and quickly rummaged through his belongings for anything valuable. However, Ik-Soo stopped him and sadly told him that he had nothing valuable to give to Yoon. Frustrated, Yoon knocked him again and pointed a pick towards him, explaining to him that he was aware that Ik-Soo was the rumored person holding some golden pearls. He demanded Ik-Soo to hand over the pearls, but the instead, Ik-Soo apologized, explaining that he had already gave the last golden pearl to another poor child. Ik-Soo reassured Yoon by promising to go and look for something else to give him. As Ik-Soo attempted to leave, he tripped and fell over; Yoon then decided to invite Ik-Soo home to rest. During the night, Ik-Soo was provided a place to sleep in Yoon's shabby home and slept soundly. Unaware that Ik-Soo was still awake, Yoon decided to rub some medicine over Ik-Soo's head in attempt to heal his injury. The following day, Ik-Soo gave Yoon a potato that he had traded his shoes for, out of gratitude for providing medicine. Yoon hesitantly accepted the potato and questioned him about his oddly, friendly actions. He wondered if other people in the kingdom were kind just like Ik-Soo, since he had never step foot outside the village. Yoon confessed to Ik-Soo that he wished to travel the world and find a place where he can read lots of books. Hearing his dreams, Ik-Soo promised Yoon that he would get books for him: Yoon asked Ik-Soo what he was doing for a living, and he replied that he was a priest helping people in need. Yoon openly stated his disbelief in God, but the priest only smiled at him. After that, Ik-Soo started making straw sandals and taught Yoon how to make one in the process. Later, Yoon perfectly created a straw sandal better than Ik-Soo’s and gave this to him as payment for teaching him. Ik-Soo then left his home to gather some books and other things for him. As time passed by, Yoon realized how lonely he was and how badly he wanted Ik-Soo’s company. As he eagerly waited for the priest to return, he stopped stealing and started selling straw sandals for a living. When Ik-Soo finally returned, he apologized to Yoon for not bringing home anything, as his belongings were stolen by people who wanted the golden pearls. he then announced that he would be living in seclusion and bid Yoon farewell. Yoon stopped him and asked Ik-Soo to take him along with him despite knowing that he will never achieve his wish of widely travelling any more. Ik-soo hugged him and decided to comply with his request.
Yoon dislikes violence and prefers not to use a weapon when possible. He knows how to use one and is even good at teaching someone how to use it; however, he fails in execution. To make up for this, he uses his intelligence to come up with plans to defeat their enemies and acts as the support for everyone.
- Healing: He learned how to heal for Ik-Soo’s sake due to his clumsiness. He applies this ability to the team and everyone they meet that needs it. From reading books and observing others, Yoon has a very vast knowledge of different remedies, and is always prepared to treat a variety of different injuries. Despite his great ability in this area though, Yoon has noted that he is no proper doctor.
- Cooking: This is another ability Yoon mastered for Ik-Soo. He can make a food out of anything, even just insects or weeds. Due to this, he often gets marriage proposals from men who taste his cooking. He also incorporates his medicinal knowledge into his cooking to make energy drinks for their travel.
- Creating Explosives: Yoon can make explosives if given the proper ingredients. He showed this ability when he was tasked to create a firework that will signal their location during executing Yona’s infiltration plan.
- Memorization: Yoon can memorize a book in one reading, as noted when Yona and he discuss the medical book Ik-soo got for him. He can also remember how to do things quickly and perfectly produce results in a short amount of time.
- (To [source needed]) "What a pain! Dead bodies."
- (To [source needed]) "Do you think it's pathetic that I'm shaking while Yona's acting so strong? But this is why I'm great. I've survived this far by being the most careful and undignified one. To a point that I'm even proud."
- (To Yona) "No, I'm not a genius. The genius was you, Yona."
- (To Kouren) "I don't want to lose. Not to war, not to violence. When healing people, there are no friends, nor enemies."
- (To [source needed]) "I mean, of course I'd be better looking than the average girl, since I am beautiful."
- (To [source needed]) "If I’m going to use it [a weapon] half-heartedly, then it’s better not to have one."
- (To Yona) "I thought those of the royal family were sly and filthy people, but I take that back. When we first met, I said some pretty harsh things, and I’m sorry."
- (To Hak) "I have lived more carefully and wretchedly than anyone else. I'm proud of it."
- (To Yona) "Leave it to this handsome genius!"
- (To [source needed]) "I can fight if I have to. Above all else I'm a survivor. I'm a lot braver than I look."
- (To Hak) "She's in good hands, Thunder Beast. I will lay down my life for Yona."
- (To [source needed]) "Inability to overcome fear is human."
- (To [source needed]) "Prodigies don't understand how the incompetent feel."
- (To Yotaka) "Are Xing Kingdom's warriors the kind to keep swinging their weapons at people who won't fight back until they die?! Are you proud of that?!"
- He ranked 4th in the character popularity poll conducted by Hana to Yume in December, 2014. He scored 802 votes in total.
- Yoon and Yona share a tent with each other. Even though Yoon feels nervous about this, he understands that it can't be helped since they live together.
- According to Mizuho Kusanagi, Kija doesn't mind when Yoon sleeps beside Yona –unlike what he feels against Hak– because of the fact that he forgets that Yoon is a boy thanks to his looks. Yona is similar in this area. However in her case, she completely forgets about Yoon's gender, knowing her bluntness.
- Yoon is often know as the "Mother" of the group and is called so various times as in a teasing way throughout the Manga.
- Before meeting Hak and Yona, while walking through the forest, he is found singing the first few verses of the old Fire Tribe song "The Fire God."
- In the subtitled version of the anime and the official English manga, his name is spelled "Yoon"
- Yoon is the only character to have broken the fourth wall.
- Due to his outstanding gastronomic ability, some men who have tried his food have proposed marriage, regardless of gender.
|The Dark Dragon and the Happy Hungry Bunch|
|Members||Yona • Hak • Yoon • Kija • Shin-Ah • Ao • Jae-Ha • Zeno|
|Royalty||King Hiryuu • Joo-Nam • Mei • Yu-Hon • Yong-Hi • Emperor Il • Kashi • Soo-Won • Yona • Yak-Shi|
|Generals||Han Joo-Doh • Kan Kyo-Ga • An Joon-Gi • Tae-Woo • Lee Geun-Tae • Hak (former) • Kan Soo-Jin (former)|
|Others||Kye-Sook • Min-Soo • Ik-Soo • Kaya|
|Originals||King Hiryuu • Gu-En • Abi • Shu-Ten • Zeno|
|Current||Kija • Shin-Ah • Jae-Ha • Zeno|
|Previous||Ao • Garou|