Kouka Kingdom (高華王国 Kōka Ōkoku) is the main setting in Akatsuki no Yona. The Kouka Kingdom was created by King Hiryuu and is governed by the five tribes: the Sky Tribe, the Fire Tribe, the Wind Tribe, the Earth Tribe, and the Water Tribe. Each tribe Chief and General are respected by the people and hold royal authority. The current ruler of Kouka Kingdom is Soo-Won, who succeeded kingship after the sudden death of his uncle, Emperor Il, and the sudden disappearance of the sole heir, Princess Yona.
Kouka is established on the northern half of a peninsula alongside the southern border countries Sei and Xing. It is surrounded by ocean from two sides and has a strait behind mountainous terrains that draws the line between the Kai Empire’s territory.
Kouka is divided into five tribes: the Sky Tribe, the Fire Tribe, the Wind Tribe, the Earth Tribe, and the Water Tribe. Each tribe is led by the Chief and General, and each have unique geographical layouts, climates, and culture.
The Sky Tribe (空の部族 Sora no buzoku) is located in a mountainous valley at the center of Kouka. There rests the royal palace of the Kouka Kingdom, Hiryuu Castle. Its capital is Kuuto, and the current Chief is Emperor Soo-Won while the current General is Han Joo-Doh.
The Fire Tribe (火の部族 Hi no buzoku) is located at the border against the neighboring Kai Empire. Though having the largest territory in the country, most of the land is infertile thus starving the villagers and farmers residing in the Fire Tribe. Its capital is Saika, and the current Chief and General is Kan Kyo-Ga. north of the Wind Tribe and at the northeast of the Sky Tribe. It shares a border with the neighboring country of the Kai Empire.
The Wind Tribe (風の部族 Kaze no buzoku) is located behind a mountainous valley and is north of the neighboring southern country of Xing. Well-known for producing one of the strongest soldiers, Hak, the Wind Tribe is full of highly-trained soldiers under the mentorship of the acclaimed Son Mundok. Its capital is Fuuga, and the current Chief and General is Tae-Woo.
The Earth Tribe (地の部族 Chi no buzoku) is located beneath the neighboring country of the Kai Empire. Its capital is Chi'Shin, and the current Chief and General is Lee Geun-Tae. Led by the charismatic warrior Lee Geun-Tae, the Earth Tribe has produced numerous loyal, brave soldiers willing to fight under the leadership of their respected Chief.
The Water Tribe (水の部族 Mizu no buzoku) is located north of the southern neighboring country of Sei. It is considered to be the most scenic region amongst the country of Kouka. Described as those who avoid conflict, the citizens of the Water Tribe are calm and undisturbed. Travelers take pleasure in on sightseeing its peaceful destinations in the coastal area. Its capital is Suiko, and the current Chief and General is An Joon-Gi.
The Kingdom of Kouka was established under a monarchy and governed by a King. Below the King, are the Generals, the leaders and strongest warriors of their tribes. The inheritance of the throne falls to the heir of the King, or to the Princess who marries a noble, in order to continue the royal bloodline. Else, the duty to nominate the King falls into the hands of the five generals who must vote for an individual they deem most fit to succeed the throne.
In the past, alongside the Kouka Kingdom was the Church led by the Priest. Priests, who were revered as the "messengers of God," held great power and had higher authority over the King. Their words were absolute and could even influence a war by their desire. Most of all, they had a fearsome power to impeach the King, if he were to ever to be seen incurring God's wrath. Due to their control over the King, they were seen as a threat and later exiled from the castle.
According to legend, the first king, Hiryuu, was once the Red Dragon God who took on a human form in order to rule a country. However, due to the wickedness that grew upon humans, everything had been in discord and even King Hiryuu was captured. Amidst the chaos, four Dragon Warriors – who are “apparently” the other halves of the four dragons who came to rescue Hiryuu – quelled the situation and protected the King. These four warriors eventually led their own tribes which are now known as the Fire, Water, Wind, and Earth.
Emperor Joo-Nam's reignEdit
- During his reign, Kouka prospered economically and the capitals overflowed with people. Wars occurred, and the expansion of the territory extended to the neighboring countries. During this time, the priests were banished from the castle under the orders of Emperor Joo-Nam’s son, Yu-Hon. He had the priest’s temple within the castle destroyed, and arrested many people in the process. Yu-Hon believed that having them around was a threat to the King’s authority.
Emperor Il’s reignEdit
- Before Joo-Nam died, he chose his second son, Il, to be the next king; this was a surprise to everyone as they expected Yu-Hon would take the crown. Il’s way of ruling was greatly different from his father’s and brother’s as he avoided conflicts by banning wars. Even though peace returned to Kouka, the economy dwindled and lands were given to the neighboring countries as compensation for having freedom. Moreover, this caused for corruption to run extremely deep (to be prominent within officials and influential people), making the country and its people suffer internally without him knowing.
- ↑ Akatsuki no Yona Manga: Chapter 7, Page 21
- ↑ Akatsuki no Yona Manga: Chapter 6, Page 10
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Akatsuki no Yona Manga: Chapter 12, Page 13
- ↑ Akatsuki no Yona Manga: Chapter 13, Page 4
- ↑ Akatsuki no Yona Manga: Chapter 13, Page 8
- ↑ Akatsuki no Yona Manga: Chapter 44, Page 7
|Tribes||Sky Tribe • Fire Tribe • Water Tribe • Wind Tribe • Earth Tribe|
|Capitals||Kuuto • Saika • Suiko • Fuuga • Chi'Shin|
|Villages||Katan Village • Touka Village • Village of Hakuryuu • Village of Seiryuu • Village of Ryokuryuu|
|Ports||Awa • Shisen • Sensui|
|Miscellaneous||Mist-Shrouded Cape • Wanderer's Market|